1.21.15 34

The Best Thing I Bought in 2014

Best Purchase of 2014

I fully realize this is a bold headline, but this is arguably the best purchase I’ve made in awhile. Yes it’s a piece of technology… but it’s not my iPhone or laptop! It’s a Wacom tablet.

Let me first explain the gist of this post…I’m linking up with a bunch of bloggers via The B Bar. We all decided to share a purchase from 2014 that has become invaluable to us, which can naturally cover quite a range of goods. Definitely check out what these ladies have to say (linked below) – I’m excited to read through the posts myself!

Back to the tablet. Since purchasing it in July, I can safely say I’ve discovered a new and exciting facet of design. I’ve always been interested in hand lettering and typography – on a non-technical level – and knew that in redesigning Cake & Lilies, I wanted my new logo to be in my own handwriting. Some of you may be aware that I’ve been dabbling in website design and teaching myself the ins and outs of the Adobe Creative Suite. One of my favorite aspects of design is adding a personal touch like incorporating my own handwriting into a larger image. The Wacom tablet makes that really easy to do. You just hook it up to your computer and use the provided pen to write, as you would on paper. What you draw appears on your screen (I use it in Photoshop) and you can edit it and use the text or drawing as you please. While I’m still getting the hang of it a few months later (it definitely takes some practice and is not at all like scribbling on a piece of paper… who woulda thought), it’s safe to say that the tablet has been a major turning point and source of inspiration for me over the past several months. It’s actually about $15 cheaper now than it was when I bought it, so if you’re looking to expand a bit creatively, I can’t recommend it enough!

I’d love to know: What is something you purchased in 2014 that’s become invaluable to you? It can be anything… a book, a new item for your closet, a trip, a pet (if so, consider me jealous!), etc. Comment below and visit these blogs if you’re looking to trigger your memory or want to get inspired!

Girl in Betsey – Glitter & Bow – Pretty Much – White Cabana – Healthfully Ever After – Boulevard House – Always Craving – Southern Charm & Prints – Perfect Enough For Us – Modish & Main – Alessandra Marie – Jenn Inspired – Luv in the Bubble – A Little Leopard – All the Pretty Stars – York Avenue – PR Blonde – Alyssa J Freitas – A Loyal Love – The College Prepster – Burlap & Lace – Brunch on Chestnut  – Average Girl’s Guide – The Yuppie Files – Cassandra Monroe – Always Anita – PR Girl Diaries – Life Modifier – Business Betties – Little Wild Heart –The Not Quite Adult – Annie Reeves – Rossetto – Lemon Stripes – Meg Biram – Victoria McGinley – The B Bar

Image via / graphic by Monica Dutia for Cake & Lilies (including text written with my Wacom tablet!)

34 Comments

1. That sounds like such a cool item! Seeing as my handwriting is absolute rubbish I doubt my blog title could ever be created by me haha It is a lovely touch that it’s header is in your own handwriting. Check out my post in the linkup to see my choice.

Alyssa J Freitas

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

It’s a fun one! You’d be surprised… even a little bit of persistence with it greatly pays off!

Published 1.21.15
  2. That’s such a great choice! I’ve always wanted to try one of those. I’m trying to learn more Photoshop, so maybe that’s the next step :)

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

You should definitely give it a shot! I was surprised how easy it was to use with Photoshop… the hardest part is the writing, not the technical side surprisingly. Let me know if you try it!

Published 1.21.15
  3. I know a few people who use one of these. Watching people working on them is sort of mesmerizing!

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

Illustrators are so talented with them! Agreed, it’s fascinating to watch :)

Published 1.21.15
  4. Hailey wrote:

I love my Wacom Tablet, as well! I have the Bamboo series and it came with apps you can purchase for it. I have gotten a lot better at it, but I could still use a ton of work. Whenever I use it in Photoshop, the brushes that they provide always make my stuff look unprofessional. Do you have this problem? I mean, I wouldn’t think so as your logo doesn’t look unprofessional. I wonder if looking into some new PS brushes would be a good idea?
    XO,
    Hailey

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

Another Wacom lover! I haven’t tried the brushes too much… I think maybe just by accident, haha. I always make sure to be on the pen (the standard brush, if you will) and just adjust the thickness. Hope that helps!

Published 1.21.15
  5. I take a little pride in chatting with you about what would become your invaluable purchase! :) Thanks for participating in our first link up!!!

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

Haha! You definitely deserve a lot of credit for this :) It’s so fun to use… definitely feels like an invaluable toy!

Published 1.21.15
  6. I LOVE my Wacom tablet! It is seriously so useful, and I don’t know what I would do without it. I use it all the time for hand-drawn maps and wedding invitations. It’s perfection!

Published 1.21.15
    • Monica wrote:

Hand drawn maps? That’s awesome! Something I’d love to try out, for sure! Do you just do them for fun?

Published 1.25.15
  7. Ellie wrote:

I have the same tablet! So fun to play with!

Published 1.22.15
    • Monica wrote:

So fun, and you’re still being productive and creating something great!

Published 1.25.15
  8. Erica wrote:

What a great idea! I’ve never heard of the tablet. I love the handwritten touch on graphics and websites that seems to be popping up lately. While I’m not sure my handwriting is ready for a public audience, it sounds like a fun and fairly easy tool to use!

Published 1.22.15
  9. Erica wrote:

Oh, and could you share what comment plugin you use, especially if your site is WordPress? I’m interested in a new one that people don’t have to sign up to use and love the options you have below the post. Thank you!

Published 1.22.15
    • Monica wrote:

It’s actually not a plugin…just the way I designed it — that’s why there isn’t a login!

Published 1.25.15