Hello from NYC! I took the train up after work yesterday and am excited for three days in the big city…I try and make a trip like this once or twice a year (it usually ends up being closer to once) and spend Friday bopping around the city and the rest of the weekend hanging out with friends. We have some fun things planned but not too much…it’ll just be nice to catch up with people and try some new restaurants + cafes. My workweeks have been sort of blurring together because of all our travel and the priority has been to get some freelance work done, blog, exercise, and try to eat well…and sleep. I also hate to admit that The Bachelor took up a little too much of my time this week–many of you can probably relate? I’d only passively been keeping up with this season and typically pay more attention during the last couple episodes, but five hours in one week is just too long no matter what kind of twist you’ve got at the end.
Hope everyone has a really nice weekend! Some recent links I’ve loved and things that have caught my eye, below!
- I was in desperate need for a snack the other afternoon and went to Whole Foods in a hungry blur, only to come out with one of my all-time favorite baked goods: an apple fritter. I’ve loved them since I was really little and don’t seem to get them nearly enough, so was naturally prompted to look up the best ones in the DC–apparently there’s a Reddit thread for that (of course) and next time I’m at Bethesda Bagels, plan to switch my order and see if the fritters live up to the hype!
- How The Bachelor and The Bachelorette impact business and tourism at the places they film–I mean, was Curacao really on your radar until a few years ago?
- I don’t wear heels often, but am tempted to try out this spray that stars apparently swear by…if it’s good enough for them, it has to be good enough for me…right?
- A Trader Joe’s breakfast hack that I’m trying ASAP. It would be perfect if you were playing hostess for the weekend!
- Two great reads that channel my Texan roots: how Chipotle got queso wrong (and what makes the good stuff the real deal), and an in-depth read on the history and significance of Tex-Mex.
- Remember my trip to The Greenbrier? Katie spent a weekend there and stayed in the most beautiful suite–it’s true when people say there really is nothing like America’s Resort.
- We have a stupid amount of liquor at home thanks to merging our two stocks when we moved in a year ago…we keep drinking the same couple of things so don’t make a dent in a lot of the other stuff. This collection of bottles also includes a lot of whiskey–so I pinned these 10 whiskey cocktails.
- The main thing is that I needed a new down coat (My last one, three years old practically to date, pretty much had all the fluff disintegrate in the wash the other day; Zappos as a very wonderful, generous return policy, if you were wondering!) so I ordered this one from Backcountry earlier in the week. I raved about them on Twitter but Backcountry has become my favorite retailers due to their fast shipping + incredible customer service. If you ever have an issue or a question, just call them! The jacket arrived right before I left for NYC yesterday and it fits perfectly. I’ve also been wearing it around outside early this morning and it’s really warm. The reviews are great, too, so recommend if you’re in the market for a new coat (plus, it’s just over $200–a steal for a long down coat!)
- J.Crew Factory has some great things right now…I especially love this top–all three colors are so good!–and it comes in solids, too. There are so many cute tie-waist shirts, too!
- Has anyone else been buying less as of late? Hopefully I’ll keep this up for the rest of 2018, but I do miss online window shopping…
ON THE BLOG:
- Five of my best travel tips and my experience with TSA’s extra security screening (one word: meh.)
- Finally checked this state off my bucket list, and it was everything I expected and more :)
- How much IKEA is in your home?
- A few of my favorite pieces and a couple things to get you ready for spring.
- Hopped across the pond to Amsterdam…for three days! How we packed everything into such a short trip.