It feels weird to post about frivolous things right now in light of this week’s events. Like most of you, I woke up on Monday to the tragic news from Las Vegas and haven’t been able to shake the feelings of sadness, frustration, and fear that I’m sure everyone is coping with right now. The fact that so many innocent lives are continually taken by senseless actions doesn’t even feel real, yet it’s seemingly become the new normal. Moments like these make you realize that you can’t live your life in fear, but that something like this can truly happen to anyone. I prefer to keep politics off this blog and my social channels, but the fact that someone was able to obtain what it took to cause something like this is beyond me, and needs to change. Sending love and prayers to everyone affected by this week’s tragedy–stay safe, friends.
On a lighter note, it’s going to be the first weekend in a few where we have little to no plans, and I’m really looking forward to that satisfying balance of productivity and relaxing. I’m finally heading over to Katie’s new place tonight and other than a couple workout classes, we’re just going to run some errands and do things around the house. Maybe do one last al fresco meal? If it can’t feel like fall, may as well take advantage of the warmer temperatures!
– I’ve made so many great recipes from Skinnytaste (it’s one of the first food blogs I ever cooked from) and am definitely going to try these chicken marsala meatballs. I also love zucchini “meatballs”her recipe for a light Italian meal!
– Julia opened up on emotional labor, which is something I’ve struggled to find a term for for awhile (apparently it’s a widespread thing). Many of us can probably relate to it in some capacity…I’d also recommend reading the comments, too.
– L.L. Bean currently has 20% off the site, including Bean Boots. They’re typically excluded from all promos so this is a big one, especially since they’re still in stock (which, if it’s anything like in years past, probably wont’ be the case within a couple weeks)…you also get a $10 gift card with a $50 purchase so trust me when I say this is the time to spring for whatever Bean pieces you’ve been eyeing!
– Serena & Lily’s Friends & Family sale is on, so it’s 20% off sitewide. My barstools are an amazing price–over $200 off–and are worth the splurge! They’re really comfortable and well-made…we got the red on sale but the F&F sale also covers the classic blue.
– A fun interview with a formal royal chef–some things you’d expect, some you wouldn’t.
– If you’re in the market for a Barbour coat (they’re my favorite!), check out Tuckernuck’s comprehensive guide–they break down all the styles and options in a digestible way! I have the Beadnell in navy, the Bedale in olive, and recently picked up the quilted Beadnell in navy.
– The Everygirl founder Danielle Moss knows how to style a home, and her newish place is no different. Whether or not your style is as minimalist as hers, you’ll definitely take away some decor tips and want to declutter, stat.
– ICYMI: Talking about my stay at The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond…I couldn’t recommend it more highly.
Original image via Marc Jacobs with edits + text by me